[BBLISA] Diskspace monitoring suggestions.

Michael C Tiernan mtiernan at tota.net
Mon Sep 13 18:39:12 EDT 2004

On Sun September 12 2004 17:45, Dean Anderson wrote:
 > It depends on what you mean by 'monitoring'.
Thank you for replying (everyone).

You're right, I didn't define it clearly enough, sorry about that.

I'm being asked[1] for:
 1) A simple X-Y graph of disk usage (major file system mount point)
    over time. This is the easy one. Do a 'df' and run it through a
    quick script then once an hour a gnuplot is generated of the
    numbers.
 2) An X-Y graph of part of a file system, preferably, one graph
    for each user (10+/-) space showing use and change.
    Realistically, this should be done (for some, and thereby
    preferably all, of the users) once an hour.  This is the hard
    one.  Some of the users have SO much space that a 'du' (we
    all agree, not the best choice) can take more than three
    hours to return during the day.  (Speed varies with the
    traffic as you can imagine.) I have *NO* access to the NFS
    host (in this case a network appliance) other than as a
    simple user. Oh yea, those in charge of same refuse to
    discuss solutions with me. To them, I'm a user. :(

I was just hoping that someone else has solved a problem like this (the
diskspace thing, not the twits in charge of the machines.).

It does look like I'll be grinding out my own answers. :)

Thanks to everyone who answered though!

[1] Funny how "asked" makes it sound like I have a choice. ;)
   << MCT >>                mtiernan at tota.net
   Michael C Tiernan.       http://home.comcast.net/~Michael.Tiernan/
   Is God a performance artist?