[BBLISA] Diskspace monitoring suggestions.

Michael C Tiernan mtiernan at tota.net
Sun Sep 12 13:25:52 EDT 2004

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this. I can't belive
I'm the first or only person to run into this situation.

I've got multiple big disk arrays that are available via NFS to multiple
systems.  On these arrays are "areas" where multiple users store lots of
data.

I need to monitor this on a regular/periodic basis. I've also got to generate
a history of changes of these different parts of the directory trees.

Before suggestions of simple 'du' commands are offered, understand that a 'du'
on one of these trees currently takes 13 hours. Not real efficient nor does
it qualify as "snapshots". :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for approaches or tools that can make this
work better?  Any opinions?

As you can imagine, I'm limited in what I can and can't change about the
structures I'm working in.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time.