[BBLISA] OSS campus mail

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Mon Oct 25 17:18:11 EDT 2004

> I believe that nearly all
> universities run Sendmail, Postfix or Exim.

Actually, Mirapoint has quite a few customers of this sort.  (Disclosure: I
work for Mirapoint.)  I've been involved in mail migrations at major
universities, off several other kinds of systems, and at least _my_
customers seem happy with the result.  Mirapoint Sales would be delighted
to provide .edu references on request.

It's inherently neither better nor worse than open-source: it's a different
tradeoff of money vs. time.  What you're buying is essentially the
integration testing, which is a _lot_ more effort than most people think,
especially ongoing.  Also, soldering it shut (so to speak) and leaving it
alone tends to improve reliability.  Sysadmins look askance at this (I did,
at first), but CIOs eat it up for some reason.  YMMV.