[BBLISA] OSS campus mail

Lisa Koch lkoch at coe.neu.edu
Mon Oct 25 09:37:42 EDT 2004

Hi Daniel and Rick,

Analyzing a large University email system is not quite as simple as
telnetting to port 25.

I'm at Northeastern (in the College of Engineering, not central IT, but
I know a little about the central system).  I suspect that the machine
you reached was one of several antispam gateways sitting in front of
the main system, which is rather complex.  Northeastern actually runs
Lotus Domino for faculty and staff, and SunOne with a portal front end
for students.

Even our smaller mail system here in Engineering runs a Symantec
antivirus gateway product on our MX hosts, in front of our main mail
server which runs standard open source packages.

I bet most large systems are running several different products on a
number of machines.  You could probably get some idea what is going on
from a careful examination of the headers of messages that have gone in
and out of the system.

Regards, Lisa

Dr. Lisa K. Koch
Asst. Dean for Educational and Computer Technology
College of Engineering, Northeastern University
230 Snell Eng. Ctr, 360 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115
lkoch at coe.neu.edu * Phone: 617-373-4430 * Fax: 617-373-8504