[BBLISA] DNS-based failover solutions/services?

Eric J. Hansen ehansen at worldmachine.com
Wed Nov 24 11:27:21 EST 2004

Anyone here have experience with DNS-based failover services?  We are looking
for a service provider to heartbeat our web servers and redirect user traffic to
alternate servers if our primary ones are down.

FYI we're looking at Akamai and Speedera, but a quick Google reveals that there
are loads of other companies doing simple DNS failover for far less $ than Akamai
and Speedera (i.e., UltraDNS, Simplefailover.com, etc.)  I'm interested in any
recommendations, general suggestions/gotchas, etc.

(FWIW, I understand that Akamai states they do 'edge routing', but their tech folk
lead me to believe that it is still DNS-based...  either way, it is far and away the most
costly service/solution out there.)

cheers & happy Thanksgiving,
Eric