[BBLISA] Firewall question #2

jco jco at direwolf.com
Fri Mar 12 06:47:03 EST 2004

I know this isn't want you asked.  But I think you should really
encourage people to use Home Firewall/router hardware.  It's only a
matter of time, if it hasn't happened already, before someone write a PC
virus that knows how to turn off Kernel IP filtering, or even worst open
the ports it needs/wants.

I'm a really big fan of the hardware ones they have nice Webbased
management, they come in total stealth mode, don't allow anything
inbound,  don't respond to ping on the WAN, NAT turned on, and use the
IP address of the first inside machine they see.   They have some
bugs... and I'm really overworking mine, but they do work.   And at
$60-70 RETAIL, they really can't be beat.  Yes you can pay $100+ for
them but then tend to have a lot of extra stuff like a WAP, and a
printer port.

It's worth the money.  And if you have enough home users, it might make
sense for your company to buy bulk and just give the suckers away with
new laptops.  All the netgear ones are even remotely manageable.  (not
in a way I like, but it could be done.)

johno