[BBLISA] Request for Comments on Email Server Install Procedure

Mark Allyn allyn at well.com
Sun Jun 27 22:34:19 EDT 2004

Folks:

I have come up with a procedure to install a Postfix/Courier/Ldap
email infrastructure server using virtial mailboxes as well
as an OpenGroupware server on a bare bones Knoppix box.

I have done this so that non-profits who cant afford the Microsoft
Exchange infrastructure can have something that can take its place.

I am looking for comments and criticism on this. I am also
looking for help in how to set up procmail to discover
virtual mailbox locations (kept on an LDAP database). I
want to use spamassasin and other spam tools and I understand
they need procmail to have spam messages sent to another sub-mailbox
under each user's main mailbox.

Or, if there is another way of setting up spamassasin without using
procmail for delivery, I would like to use it. The email delivery
agant that I am using is the Postvix virtual delivery agent.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I would also appreciate it
if you folk can pass this along to any non-profits in the Boston
area whom you know might be looking for an alternitive to the
Microsoft Exchange type infrastructure.

And of course, you are welcome to use this and dissiminate it
as you wish, as long as you keep my name on it as the author.

I have put it on a web site. If you are interested, it is at
www.clearplastic.com/mail_server.html or just click on the
link to Mail Server Installation Tips on the main page at
www.clearplastic.com.

You are welcome to use this procedure and I am still looking
for comments.

Thank you

Mark Allyn
allyn at well.com