[BBLISA] Question about Network analysis tools

miah jjohnson at sunrise-linux.com
Thu Jan 8 15:30:20 EST 2004

The thing that annoyed me most about Mr. Gibson was the 'Windows XP has the raw sockets' crap that he was going on and on about.  OH NO SOMEBODY CAN CREATE SPOOFED PACKETS.  If our routers were setup correctly and did egress filtering this wouldn't be much of an issue.  Not that you couldn't do as you pleased before XP, and have been able to do for years on any UNIX system.  Other than that, I've been able to ignore him for a while, and hadn't heard anything about him until that first post about using Shields Up.

As for websites that require email addresses... mail.yahoo.com is your friend =)

But seriously, if you really need to port scan your box from outside your network, login to a remote shell.  I'm sure many of you have shell accounts on unix boxes where you can run nmap without worry.  So why trust some third party that could give you incorrect information, when you can get better and more acurate information by doing it yourself.

-miah