[BBLISA] Question about Network analysis tools

Ben Eisenbraun bene at klatsch.org
Wed Jan 7 16:55:13 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:39:53PM -0500, snagao at citistreetonline.com wrote:

> My manager wants to be able to scan a server to see what ports are open
> and make sure the open ports are those that are allowed according to our
> security policies before we release the server for production use.

If that's all you want to do, it should be fairly simple to use nmap
and some shell scripting to do differential port scans.

As someone already mentioned, Nessus can do differential scans as well,
but it's a much larger application, which may be fine if you intend to take
advantage of all its features.

Fyodor, the developer of nmap, polls the nmap mailing list once a year or so
to get a listing of the most popular security tools.  The list ends up being
a who's-who of top security and network analysis software, and it's available
here: http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

Good stuff.

-ben

--
you never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.
                                                        <william blake>