[BBLISA] Panther Anyone

bblisa at rootme.org bblisa at rootme.org
Wed Feb 25 11:42:51 EST 2004

I've used a few of the G4 XServes.  The first thing you notice about
them is the sheer noise from them.  Panther server works well with them
obviously.  Coming from FreeBSD, I found a lot of frustration trying to
use the gui tools (Server Manager) to admin the server, especially for virtual hosting of
mail and web accounts.  Things like postfix, apache, and qpopper were just easier for me to
setup on my own without the gui tools.

The hardware itself worked fine.  I only had it for a month to setup for
someone, but it worked well; albeit loud.  Server Monitor gives you a
fairly deep look into the hardware for an Apple, comparable to something
like a motherboard monitor in the Intel space.  The RAID setup was
software, but you could boot off of RAID 1.  I believe the new G5
Xserves are hardware raid capable, which would be nice to allow you to
boot off a RAID5 Array.

All in all, it was a nice box, worked well and the place it's deployed
is happy with it.