[BBLISA] Verizon help

A Page in the Life of ... dkap at haven.org
Thu Feb 19 19:59:07 EST 2004

Ahh Tabor I always knew I could count on you.

-=> From: "Tabor J. Wells" <twells at fsckit.net>
-=>
-=> Verizon implemented a (arguably broken) SMTP callout system a few months ago.
-=> Look for connections from hosts named something like sc###pub.verizon.net
-=> doing a MAIL FROM:<imail at verizon.net>

There is one message, on the 18th of November from imail at verizon.net that
was rejected on a failed verify:

2003-11-18 20:40:32 verify failed for SMTP recipient tgxa7sxqoz at haven.org
from <imail at verizon.net> H=sc002pub.verizon.net [206.46.170.146]: 1 Time(s)

Does that mean, that, becuase it was rejected, I'm never going to get on
their whitelist?  Hrm ... the members of the wearables mailing list
wear-hard at haven.org who have verizon accounts are not going to be pleased.
*sigh*

-=> If you're failing that connection for some reason they defer your inbound
-=> mail going the other direction. Also if it doesn't happen quick enough it'll
-=> defer the connection as well.

Yep ... everything I get is a 450 Defered.  Of course ... I set up another
computer on another net-drop entirely (I went to Diesel) and that got
rejected with a:
550 You are not allowed to send mail:sc015pub.verizon.net
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Which, according to Verizon was the problem that NM mentioned, that if
there isn't a valid MX and PTR record for your machine, you are not
accepted.

-=> There have been plenty of reports of sites having problems working with the
-=> system. Good luck getting ahold of someone at VZ to fix it though.

I finally got through ... I've been on the phone with various departments
since about 4 this evening, and I just hung up at 7:56, finally able to get
an error report into their system.  I have a feeling it would have been
easier to simply set up a DSL line with them, get them to solve the
problem, and then cancel the order.  It was quite a trick of social
engineering to try and get through to someone who could even talk to me
without giving them a DSL account phone number.  *sigh*  I don't recommend
it to anyone, even Sysuphus admirer.

-=> A search of the various anti-spam mailing lists/newsgroups will probably
-=> find more detailed info on what the thresholds, etc are.

Thanks ... now that I have the strings to search for, it's going much
faster.

-dkap

-=> Tabor J. Wells                                     twells at fsckit.net
-=> Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality
-=>
-=> bblisa mailing list
-=> bblisa at bblisa.org