[BBLISA] [OT] Help locating Security Clearance positions?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Fri Dec 3 12:00:29 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I once had a Secret level security clearance which I gave up in 1996 when
> I left the sponsoring organization.   I have not used the clearance since.

You will likely need to be re-investigated after 8 years, but having
previously had a clearance will probably be a benefit.

What I don't understand is what your purpose is in getting a clearance.
(Well, probably more money, but that isn't a reason for the government to
give you a clearance--why would the government want to do that, I guess)
Unless things have changed a lot since I worked at Draper, you used to
need a purpose (the sponsor has classified work for you) to get a
clearance. I don't _think_ you can get a clearance just for the hell of
it, as it were, but I must confess that I don't know all the rules. Maybe
you can if you want to pay the money for the investigation.

Classified consulting may be a special case. SAIC and others do tremendous
amounts of classified consulting, and they make big bucks for it. I
suspect that if you wanted to create a competeing organization, you'd need
to find someone with a current or recent clearance to get going.

Security clearances are performed through Defense Investigative Services
Company (DISCO), I think this is now called Defense Invesigative Services
Agency (DISA).  You may try to call them and explain that you want to
offer consulting services to DOD contractors and are in need of a
clearance.  But last I heard, clearances cost $20K-$30K (and that was
probably 15 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if its 60K+ now. It takes
about 6 to 9+ months for a clearance. And of course, that's just the
investigation. No guarantee you'll be cleared.  Now you see why people are
prepared to pay the big dollars to SAIC to have cleared people on staff.

617 344 9000