[BBLISA] MS Exchange oddity

Tabor J. Wells twells at fsckit.net
Thu Aug 19 14:34:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:11:29PM -0400,
mrichman at postdiluvian.org <mrichman at postdiluvian.org> is thought to have said:

> It looks like our (internal) exchange server has stripped off all
> the headers from a peice of spam before it got to the exchange
> server, anybody out there have any idea how they did that (no
> solid exchange expertise here).

"they" = spammers or MS? Exchange will rewrite a whole variety of headers and
body content it has *no* business touching in various circumstances. I
haven't been able to determine under exactly what causes it to do so, or
what (if anything) can be done to make it stop.

> We have sendmail (8.12.10) as our external gateway (with proofpoint
> as a mail filter), which should have added an X-comment and an
> x-proofpoint line, both of these have been stripped and the first
> transaction on the mail is from the gateway to the exchange server

Most likely it contained some MIME atatchments that Exchange decided needed
to be re-written and in doing so it removed the X headers as well leaving just
the ones defined by standards.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells at fsckit.net
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality