[BBLISA] co-location

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Fri Apr 2 12:19:13 EST 2004

Dean Anderson wrote:

>That's it.  GTE housed national VOIP equipement and servers and some other
>stuff until it was moved to Burlington.  GTE wasn't a customer/webhosting
>colo, where customers brought servers in. That was in Burlington, and I
>think, Cambridge before that.

Nope customer hosting was always in Cambridge, 10 Molton Ave, then we
opened a "temporary" data center Fawsett (sp?) Street.  What a mess that
was... originaly the racks they gave operations for our equipement where
backed up to a wall.   And I kept saying "temporary DCs, never are"  I
kept wanting to build it out to spec.  And they kept saying nope we are
only doing this for 12-18 months.

We had a datacenter in Burlington but it was Operations Only no customer
hosting was done out of there.

I don't think Woburn ever housed Customer Hosting either.  But I might
be wrong about that.

>But a lot of Genuity critical equipment was in Waltham for a long time
>before it was moved to Burlington, just before it was moved again to
>Woburn.  The VOIP datacenter was on the second floor, west. There was
>another datacenter for the VPN group below that, (I did some work for the
>VPN group, too, but that datacenter was purely engineering. Everything
>moved to Burlington as soon as it worked)  There were several datacenters
>in the north and east sides that belonged to Verizon. I don't know if they
>were production or not. Superpages was in one. I don't know what was in
>the rest.

As far as I know Superpages was always hosted out of Dallas.  GTE had a
building next to a DFW runway.   It was  acase of you could see your
plane from the building and you had to go about 2-3 miles out of your
way to get to the terminals to get your plane.

johno