[BBLISA] co-location

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Fri Apr 2 11:40:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Benjamin Cline wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > Beware of the story "We have dual power grids", in lieu of generator
> > backup. They always leave off the "in lieu of " part.
> >
> > In my experience, with the _sole_ exception of 9/11**, I've not found it
> > to be terribly useful, and sometimes its a disadvantage: The Genuity/GTE
> > site in waltham had dual power and transfer switches, and once we were
> > _brought down_ as a result.  Maintenance on the redundant service somehow
> > triggered a failure in the primary, and the whole site went down for
> > several hours.  There were generators, but not enough to run the whole
> > sites datacenters.  Oops.
> >

> I'm a former Genuity/GTE employee, and other than GTE Labs (which wasn't a
> customer collocation site), I don't recall any facilities in Waltham.
> Are you perhaps thinking of the Savvis (formerly Cable & Wireless,
> formerly Exodus) data center?

That's it.  GTE housed national VOIP equipement and servers and some other
stuff until it was moved to Burlington.  GTE wasn't a customer/webhosting
colo, where customers brought servers in. That was in Burlington, and I
think, Cambridge before that.

But a lot of Genuity critical equipment was in Waltham for a long time
before it was moved to Burlington, just before it was moved again to
Woburn.  The VOIP datacenter was on the second floor, west. There was
another datacenter for the VPN group below that, (I did some work for the
VPN group, too, but that datacenter was purely engineering. Everything
moved to Burlington as soon as it worked)  There were several datacenters
in the north and east sides that belonged to Verizon. I don't know if they
were production or not. Superpages was in one. I don't know what was in
the rest.