[BBLISA-announce] October 2014 Meeting

John Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Sat Sep 27 19:15:22 EDT 2014

Hello all:

To those who attended and enjoyed Neil Schelly's talk on "Trying to
Outpace Log Collection with ELK", his slides with notes are on the web
site. You can download them from the [Meetings]/Past Meeting page
or directly at: http://www.bblisa.org/slides/201409-schelly.pdf

Our October meeting will be held on:

  Wednesday, October 8, 2014

at MIT E-51, room 149 starting at 7:00 with Announcements &
Introductions and the formal presentation will start at 7:30.

The talk will be given by Colin Walters and is titled:

    Project Atomic: Server OS and app container delivery with Docker
                    and OSTree

For many years, "traditional packaging" has been the default method
for software delivery and management on Unix systems; exemplified by
dpkg, RPM, and similar systems.

Project Atomic is a pattern that can be applied to a traditional
distribution (for example, Fedora, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux),
bringing together several upstream components: SELinux, Linux kernel
containers, Docker, (RPM-)OSTree, and orchestration frameworks such as
geard and Kubernetes.

This talk will explore the details of all of these technologies, with
a particular focus on the RPM-OSTree side, which provides atomic
upgrades and rollbacks for bare metal operating systems For example,
we'll look at why /home is a symlink to /var/home on an Atomic system,
and how configuration files in /etc are carried forward on upgrades in
a fully atomic fashion.

Colin Walters is a Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat in the Server
Experience group. He is the upstream author of OSTree, and has
contributed to a variety of Free Software projects, such as Emacs,
systemd, GNOME, OpenEmbedded, and both Debian and Fedora packaging.

I hope you see you, in your radiation suit, at the talk.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard