[BBLISA-announce] [BBLISA] November meeting: Jim Gettys on Internet buffer bloat

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Nov 7 11:57:33 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
<bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
>> Behalf Of Adam Moskowitz
>>
>>        The mistaken quest to never drop packets has destroyed
> interactivity
>>        under load,
>
> For what it's worth, I completely disagree with this, and as an IT
> consultant, have been called in several times to companies having problems,
> only to discover the problem was caused by somebody thinking it was ok to
> drop packets under load.
>
> I don't want to argue about it, because I know it's religion, but I'll just
> say this much: ....

Ed and I did way to much on this subject back in June.   Come hear Jim
Gettys if you want to hear an expert present what I was trying to say
(more or less).   I assume Jim will also be talking about the changes
in routers/OS kernels that are being instituted to fix the "problem"
buffer bloat causes for TCP/IP.

Bill Bogstad