[BBLISA-announce] March meeting Bacula review

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Mar 21 20:28:28 EDT 2012

Hi all:

We had 11 people at the March meeting, so I thought the rest of you
might like a quick review of what you missed at the March meeting:

Jobs:

 MIT Lincoln Labs - 7 positions (ability to get a security
                    clearance required)
 Nokia - 3 positions
 Northeastern University - sysadmin for networks/VM's
 Endurance International Group - 3 unix admin positions one junior

K.M. Peterson's presentation on Bacula started with a review of backup
requirements and the differences between backups and archives. He
astutely pointed out that nobody cares about backups, they care about
restores.

Peterson further discussed:
 - How Bacula performs its backups
 - Integrity testing of Bacula backups
 - The new "accurate backup" mechanism
 - Various media that can be used for backups in Bacula
 - How to configure Bacula to perform off-site backups using disk media

In reviewing the configuration settings, there was discussion on
configurations that can result in longer restore times. The talk was
concluded with a demonstration of Bacula doing a single-host backup
within a VM.

Presentation material is available at
http://kmpeterson.com/special/bblisa-bacula/.

Join us next month for a presentation by Martin Leach (CIO of The
Broad Institute) titled "What does a CIO do anyway?"

(Thanks to Patrick Cable for copy editing.)

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard