[BBLISA-announce] [BBLISA] Wednesday BBLISA - Ruby: More Batteries, Fewer Brackets (with times)

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Jul 12 22:59:17 EDT 2011

------- Forwarded Message

Hello all:

Tonight's (wednesday) BBLISA talk will be Tonight:

Title:     Ruby: More Batteries, Fewer Brackets

Presenter: Aaron D. Ball - Broad Institute, Research Computing Group
           Senior Systems Analyst

Date/Time: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 7PM

Room:      MIT E-51, Room 145

Ruby may be most familiar as the language behind the Rails web
framework, and Perl as the "Swiss Army chainsaw" that no sysadmin can
live without, but they have a lot more in common than you might
think. Ruby comes out of the box with a great set of sysadmin tools,
from text processing to Unix system interfaces to TCP servers, and has
a syntax about as terse as Perl but with object-oriented and
functional-programming idioms that make your code easier to write and
understand. Whether you're new to scripting or you've been typing line
noise since 1987, this talk will show you another way.

Here is the agenda:

7:00 - Announcements & Introductions
7:25 - Door prizes (worth anywhere from $43.99 to $2.99)
7:30 - Formal presentation

I hope to see you there.

Note that there will not be an August BBLISA meeting.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard