[BBLISA] audit root/sudo users for RHEL 6 server

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Apr 17 16:23:27 EDT 2020

>>>>> "John" == John Malloy <jomalloy at gmail.com> writes:

John> They just want to know who can login as route or sudo

And so do you!  :-)

John> These are both Oracle servers and they only have a route and Oracle account

That you know of.  Auditing, while painful and not fun unless it's
automated, is the solution here.

John> There’s no additional users in the Sudo file

It's not that easy, since you also need to look in /etc/sudoers.d/ and
also need to parse out group membership and check the sudoers* files
for group entries.  It's *not* trivial.

But again, it's the auditing part that the auditors will be concerned
about.  How to do validate your results?  How do you know that us
powerful sysadmins aren't hacking the reports and ignoring certain
accounts in the reports so that we can hide stuff?  How do you know
someone *else* hasn't hidden a SUID script or program somewhere else
on the system?

It's a damn rathole honestly, and there's a cost vs benefit call you
need to make.  Or more accurately, management needs to make.  100%
security is when the server is off, unplugged from everything and
buried in a hole.  In concrete.  :-)

Be thankful you're not having to go through PCI compliance audits for
handling credit cards, I've heard they're even worse!

John

John> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 1:39 PM Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

John>     John Malloy wrote:
>> What is the best way to provide proof to an audit person who needs to know
>> all the root/sudo users for  a RHEL 6 server?
>>
>> (I am new at this company, and don't have access to all their resources)
>>
>> We can provide the /etc/passwd   &   /etc/sudoers file   (the auditor may
>> not know how to read these files)
>>
>> We also have the RedHat  Identity Management  running here, but I am not
>> familiar with this tool.

John>     What question did they ask? It's important.

John>     -dsr-

John> --

John> John Malloy

John> bblisa mailing list