[BBLISA] MBR that reboots machine

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Fri Oct 7 10:55:28 EDT 2016

We need a MBR that reboots the machine. Surely this must exist?

Our systems boot from the network. If, after a power outage say, that
does not work, the BIOS goes on to boot from the local HD. Since the
local HD has no OS on it, the boot sequence endsand the machine sits
forever waiting for manual intervention.

If the local HD had a MBR that caused the boot process to start over
again, then our machines would retry network booting forever, until the
network boot servers (and all switches along the path to them) were up
again.

I have googled extensively for this, I have found assembly source code
for the standard Windows MBR, and I think I have seen explanations on
how to get a machine to reboot in assembly, so I may attempt to compile
my own bit of code, but it seems likely that someone else has done this
before.

Thanks,
  - Alex