[BBLISA] August Meeting Recap

Nick Cammorato nick.cammorato at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 22:58:28 EDT 2016

First of all, thank you to everyone who came!  We wound up more than
doubling the number of people who rsvped on meetup - which is
basically the inverse of how these things normally work.

For those who didn't make it the topics we wound up covering were:
- I threatened everyone with deep diving into termcap and curses. This
was remarkably effective. Perhaps nobody likes either of these things!
- Adam went over the 12-factor app. John rigged up the conference room
projector to do an overhead style projection of Adam's phone for this,
which was awesome.
- Matt Barr gave a quick preview of his upcoming DevOpsDays talk on
compliance and policy in modern repositories. I iknew about the
difference between a commit log v. pushes in a distributed system like
git but had not connected that with the auditing and compliance parts
of my job - so thank you Matt.
- We talked about a lot of different ways agile manifests and metrics
and just general here are good ways to function stuff. Probably spent
a bit too much time here, my fault.
- Mark gave a rundown on kubernetes pods and how that gets translated
into docker.

And of course all the normal back and forth.

For next month, I am trying to book a lecture. So if you want to
present or hear an interesting talk somewhere, let me know.

Cheers,
--Nick