[BBLISA] Backup Windows systems to samba?

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Wed Mar 11 20:57:53 EDT 2015

I don't back up windows systems, just the samba server containing their mount
points, but I do back up a few Linux systems using CrashPlan.

CrashPlan allows you to set up a local backup server on a Linux box, to which
an arbitrary number of (free) clients can send their backups.  You can then
back up that box to the CrashPlan server, so with a small-office setup you can
get by with just one ($50 annual) CrashPlan Pro subscription.  Partial
restores are easy enough for any user to figure out; one caveat with the
free/Pro combination is that the free version is limited to daily backups,
whereas if you want continuous backups of a given machine you need to pay for
Pro.  Daily is good enough for most users but not everyone.

A couple years ago I discovered undetected corruption in the CrashPlan
savesets stored on their cloud service, so I've also implemented a local
rsnapshot-based set of python scripts so I have two different ways of
recovering any file I care about.

-rich