[BBLISA] Backup Windows systems to samba?

Dan Ritter dsr-bblisa at randomstring.org
Wed Mar 11 12:18:46 EDT 2015

I have five or six Windows machines hanging around; it would be
nice to provide a decent backup option.

What qualifies as decent?

- a full backup can be restored to bare metal
- a partial restore can be handled by the user
- there's an installable client (as opposed to "compile six
  things and ship a copy of MS VC++ library 6.7f")

We have a nice Linux system that provides backup to Time
Machine users very smoothly, including pretending that they each
have 200GB volumes without requiring funky loopback workarounds.

It would be very nice to do the same with SAMBA for the Windows
clients, but I have not been able to make this work. It appears
from googling that everyone who has has been setting the home
dirs of the backup client users to 777...

-dsr-