[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Wed Jan 28 01:02:58 EST 2015

On Jan 27, 2015, at 9:11 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (lopser) <lopser at nedharvey.com> wrote:

>  Furthermore, BIOS doesn't generally interact with a USB drive, so what if you want to recover the contents of a self-encrypted drive attached for rescue purposes via USB to some other rescue system?  In that case, there may be a solution of some kind, but there's also the distinct possibility you'd be SOL.
>
> If you want a BIOS-like boot password, I would suggest using TrueCrypt instead of self-encrypting drive, because at least then you'll know you can attach the drive to any system, and be able to recover it.

For what it's worth Seagate Disk utilities, that are Windows only but free.  Does know how to send commands via USB to an encrypted drive.  I've used them and they seem to work fine.

True crypt, and PGP FDE  I've had problems with both of them, they seem to be SUPER sensitive to the SATA hardware and driver.  I would only be comfortable using it at a site where we had 10s or 100s of identical machines.    But in my current position I have 1's and 2's of about 30 models (although they are MOSTLY Dells, I can't imagine how bad it would be if I had a collection of Makes and Models.)  This is part of the reason I've abandoned S/W FDE.

Johno