[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Tue Jan 27 09:14:09 EST 2015

> From: bblisa [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On Behalf Of
> dean.anderson71 at yahoo.com
>
> Apple-tel has been working fine for me.

John was saying that Apple doesn't support self-encrypting drives.  If you want to whole-disk encrypt the mac, use filevault.  (I certainly do, and as you said, it works great.  As long as you don't need the system to boot unattended.)

A lot of hardware out there will support self-encrypting drives.  However, to address Daniel's fears, it cannot be guaranteed that all systems will support it.  For example, what if you encrypt a drive on a Dell and then the Dell dies and you want to attach the drive to an Apple?  Well, you're SOL.  The same may be true for various other motherboards and systems.  Furthermore, BIOS doesn't generally interact with a USB drive, so what if you want to recover the contents of a self-encrypted drive attached for rescue purposes via USB to some other rescue system?  In that case, there may be a solution of some kind, but there's also the distinct possibility you'd be SOL.

If you want a BIOS-like boot password, I would suggest using TrueCrypt instead of self-encrypting drive, because at least then you'll know you can attach the drive to any system, and be able to recover it.

I advocate BitLocker above all those other alternatives.  The only exception is when BitLocker is unavailable for some reason.