[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Sat Jan 24 08:44:23 EST 2015

> From: bblisa [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On Behalf Of Daniel
> Feenberg
>
> Can you say something about how the self-encrypted system appears to
> users?

The self-encrypting drives I've used have been like this:

BIOS has support for self-encrypting drives.  When you power on the computer, you get a text prompt to enter password.  No need to re-enter when waking from sleep.  (Yes need to re-enter when waking from hibernate.)  Sometimes they support an Admin password and a User password.

The problem is:  If you have more than one user.  Or if they only support a single password (then the admin must assign the pass, and the user must login twice).  Also, what happens when you connect drive via USB?  Is there any way to enter the password?  I dunno.

If bitlocker is available, as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to use anything else.