[BBLISA] How do you detect bad hardware on your network?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Dec 7 17:49:19 EST 2015

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 03:56:01PM -0500, Alex Aminoff wrote:

> We have an office network with about 200 desks, with Dell managed 24
> and 48 port switches, with spanning tree and broadcast storm
> control. At the desks and carrels, we have many small 4 and 8 port
> non-managed switches. Sometimes one of these small switches
> malfunctions in a way that affects large portions of our network,
> but intermittently. What are best practices for detecting and
> pinpointing this sort of problem?

On the managed switches use features that immediately shut down a port
when a BPDU is received (BPDU Guard) or when too many MAC addresses
are learned (say more than 16 for your typical edge port).  Make sure
you are capturing syslogs and/or SNMP traps so you know when a port
shuts down.