[BBLISA] What does SharePoint break for non windows users?

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:35:19 EDT 2015

Thanks for the in depth replies.

I agree, SharePoint is a whole cluster of tools and protocols and that's
part of the problem.  It's being pitched as a panacea but the fact is it's
way too many things to be able to say that.  Some features will work well
on all platforms others, much less so. That's why I asked, "What breaks?"
I don't have the time to spend verifying what works so I was trying to get
an idea of what may be too painful to deal with.

For example, I respectfully disagree that "... as long as you make mac &
linux support part of the design requirement for this consulting company,
you'll be fine."  Calendaring is a perfect example.   Calendering using
Linux and Exchange is next to useless.  (Yes, I know I said O365/SharePoint,
this is just an example.)  On Linux, I can accept a meeting invite but:
  1) I have to read the email then "accept" i.e. import the invite
  2) If someone changes something, e.g. reschedules, the update doesn't
automatically appear in my calendar
  3) Scheduling an meeting and booking a room doesn't work in a useful way

Several people have been kind enough to reply off list.  I'll post a small
summary in the next day or so.

  -- Paul Beltrani