[BBLISA] What does SharePoint break for non windows users?

Evan Pettrey jepettrey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:30:48 EDT 2015

On Aug 31, 2015 7:24 PM, "Paul Beltrani" <spamgrinder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  The point about issues with a VPN is interesting.
As someone else posted, SharePoint  is more than just a web server.  I
expect there's a range of features using ports and protocols people may
tend to filter by default.

An interesting point as related to SharePoint on-premise but that shouldn't
affect O365 since it is publicly accessible (with login depending on the
setup).

I don't think Sharepoint on 365 should be very much affected by OS as it
seems to play well cross platform in my experience. If you have custom
things added though your results may vary.

mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:

>> Paul Beltrani wrote:
>>>
>>> We have an IT vendor that's trying to convince our CFO to move to
Office365/SharePoint. I get why they're proposing it. They're a Microsoft
only consultant and it's the only tool in their box.  Also, they stand to
make some big bucks in professional services to set it all up.

>>> However, they're steam-rolling over the objections of a large number of
more modern users who have been using Macs, Linux and Google Apps for
Business for years.

>>> Does anyone have recent experience with SharePoint/Office365 using a
client on any OS other than windows?  I would very much like to know what
breaks and/or causes difficulty for Mac and Linux users.   If Exchange is
any example, they'll claim it's cross platform (i.e. OWA) but in practice
you get limited functionality unless you're running Windows.

>>>   -- Paul Beltrani
>>

>> Can't talk to the hosted version, but regular SharePoint breaks rather
badly on Windows - when you're running across a VPN.

>> Re. Exchange, I've had pretty good luck accessing the company server
from both my personal Mac and my Android phone.