[BBLISA] DMARC issue, Yahoo and beyond

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Thu May 15 10:21:46 EDT 2014

IIRC, the issue is not with the From: and Reply-To: headers, but the
envelope sender (MAIL FROM in the SMTP chatter).

Some systems, especially mailing lists, when forwarding on behalf of the
original sender, don't reset the envelope sender to the local domain,
and use the original sender's email address. You then bump into problems
if the receiving host is checking SPF and DKIM (DMARC is basically
both), and the original sender's domain has those set and have strict
checking.

We ran into this when a person had their email forwarded to a yahoo
account from an Exchange 2003 server. Exchange 2003 doesn't change the
envelope sender on forwarding, but I understand that 2007 and later
change the envelope sender to be the forwarding account.

I haven't looked any deeper yet at my mailman stuff, as fortunately I
don't have any yahoo recipients or any other domain that is doing DMARC yet.