[BBLISA] Home router/NAT/firewall linux software?

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Tue May 6 13:24:15 EDT 2014

My project: build a home firewall/NAT box on which I can have a web app
where my kids check off when they have done their chores in order to get
screen time (aka internet access).

The web app I can write. I can build a firewall/NAT box by hand in
iptables, but do I have to?

On the one hand, I found several complete distributions that do this:
m0n0wall, smoothwall, etc. On the other hand, what I would like is
software that does most of what those bundled distributions do that I
can install on my existing linux system. In that realm all I have found
is use raw iptables or things called apf and csf, which appear to be
geared towards an ISP rather than a home network; in particular, I would
worry that they would take over and clobber the NAT configs. So my
question is, can one get the nice software built for the m0n0wall or
smoothwall distros as standalone packages that can be installed on any
other linux? (In my case Scientific Linux, a RHEL clone).

Thanks,
  - Alex