[BBLISA] Troubleshooting iptables/netfilter problems

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Tue Mar 4 10:35:52 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:16:42AM -0500, John Miller wrote:
> >
> > What should be hit:
> > -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 129.64.0.0/255.255.0.0 -p tcp -m state
> > --state NEW -m tcp --dport 636 -j ACCEPT
> >
> > What is actually being hit:
> > -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
> >
> > Anyone run into this sort of problem before?
>
> Needs more context. That second rule matches EVERY PACKET
> that gets into RH-Firewall-1-INPUT.

Apologies for the lack of context.  The 2nd rule is the last rule in our
chain, so we reject everything that's made it that far.

> Also, why look at the state of the packets if you're accepting
> NEW? You sometimes want to match NEW for mark-and-mangle
> purposes, but otherwise I don't see it. Simpler as:

Other folks have wondered the same thing.  These rules predate my tenure
here, so I can only guess as to their intent.  I also don't see much reason
for matching on NEW for traffic we want to accept.

> # accept LDAP from 129.64
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 129.64.0.0/16 -p tcp --dport 636 -j ACCEPT

Did this over the weekend.  Definitely allows through a bunch of
RST-flagged packets (presumably being declared as INVALID); inconclusive so
far if SYN-flagged stuff is still being blocked.

> Do you have matching rules for counting packets? If not, add
> them.

I'm logging, but hadn't turned on packet counting.  Certainly can't do any
harm to do so.  Thanks for the idea!

> Does it go away with a flush or reboot? If so, there's something
> adding rules after the first time they're set up.

I don't believe so.  Only a small fraction of packets actually get
rejected, so if a flush fixes things, they're broken again before I notice
anything.

John