[BBLISA] Mac users ssh client and changing host keys

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Fri Jan 24 11:32:47 EST 2014

> From: bblisa [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On Behalf Of Alex Aminoff
>
> What is the typical way a Mac user uses ssh? Do they use the
> command-line ssh client that comes with the OS, or do they download some
> app analogous to putty on windows?

I don't know a single person who uses an ssh client other than the built-in ssh.

> We plan to renumber all our IP space, which will cause saved ssh host
> keys to become invalid.

Now is the time to start using DNS.  In fact, a long, long time ago was the time to start.  If you were using DNS, you wouldn't have this problem.  You can renumber to your heart's content, and ssh known_hosts will record "foobar.somedomain.org" as the host corresponding to that particular ssh server public key.  Renumber away, no problem.

If you're in the unfortunate situation of NOT using DNS, and for some reason the problem you care about is the IP address in the known_hosts file...  Then just use sed on your known_hosts file to replace the old IP with the new IP.