[BBLISA] pre-comment on tonight's meeting ("Fragile Ops")

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Jan 9 19:08:05 EST 2014

Patrick,

Apropros to your statement last night that users are used to computer
failure,  Bruce Schneier had an interesting comment
about computer failures just last week:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/12/more_about_the.html#c3262720

Bill Bogstad

 Bruce Schneier • January 1, 2014 3:09
PM<https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/12/more_about_the.html#c3262720>

"When the first Snowden revelations were made public I wrote some very
critical comments. Within one week my Dell computer simply would not start
anymore. Push button = nothing. Repair shop said I needed new motherboard =
$400.

"Coincidence? Probably. But, the next computer I bought bricked in 7 days
flat, too. Coincidence? Probably.

"The third one broke twice in four months but I managed to fix it, once by
replacing a failing hard drive. Coincidence? Probably."

I blame our industry. Computing is such a lousy experience that you can't
distinguish normal operation from enemy action.