[BBLISA] PDU Power Ratings?

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Wed Apr 2 13:25:31 EDT 2014

Hi Scott,

You definitely want to get the proper PDU--don't muck about with
electricity.  Find out what sort of connector your power feed uses, then
get a 120V/30A PDU to match.  We're running a few 120V/30A circuits, and
have used APC PDUs (0U) without incident.

Ask your colo provider for the electrical specs on your power
connection--they should know this stuff cold.  Do they offer 208V?  Does
your equipment support it?  You'll dramatically reduce your power draw by
going with the higher voltage (power scales with current squared).

John

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Scott Danek <scott_danek at terc.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're looking into increasing our power in our colocation from 120V 20 amp
> to 120V 30 amp so that we can add more equipment. When looking for PDU's it
> seems that a PDU that will take a 120V input and output 30 amps is
> uncommon. Most 30 amp PDU's we've seen seem to take a 200V+ input. If we
> got a PDU that lists a 200V or 208V input and output, and plugged it into a
> 120V circuit, what would be the outcome? Would that be ill-advised? Thanks!
>
> -Scott

John Miller
Systems Engineer
Brandeis University