[BBLISA] PDU Power Ratings?

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Wed Apr 2 13:19:22 EDT 2014

First off most equipment these days is auto-sensing it doesn’t care between about 100v and 240v.

IF you have something that is 120v and pipe 208v into the BEST thing that can happen is you pop the breaker in your gear. Worst is something burns out, arcs and you start a fire.  In general you should NOT be able to do it without some custom engineering, Because the plugs change between between 120 and 208.

The blades change orientation between 20amps and 30amps.  Ever see a 120 plug where the blades are like - | instead of | | ?  that is because the - | is for 20amps @120v.  | | is for 15amps @120v.

As another said I would look to get 208/210 in and move everything that I can to that.

Watts = Volts x Amps
so if you 500 watt power supply = 208 x 2.4 = 120 x 4.2.

Which means you can run roughly 2x as much gear off 208volts @ 0amps than you can 120volts @20amps.

johno