[BBLISA] small business and "prosumer" email options: Yahoo Business Email, FastMail

Richard Chonak richard at chonak.com
Fri Sep 20 03:30:36 EDT 2013

On 08/04/2013 06:05 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Since then I've ran across a few things. One is that Marissa Mayer seems
> to be trying to make Yahoo! Mail competitive with her former employer,
> Google, and they now support IMAP for free[2]. Apparently they'll even
> host your own domain for $35/year[3] with unlimited storage (that
> includes some limited web hosting as well). (Oddly all their marketing
> aimed at business only promotes POP, with no mention of IMAP.)

A belated comment:

I used to subscribe to Yahoo's "Mail Plus" service at $20/year, and felt
ripped off this year when I found out that they were giving away IMAP
for free.

The IMAP service has an unpleasant limitation, too, even for paying
customers: every few days, you have to sign on to Yahoo through a
desktop system, or they stop accepting your mobile authentications.
It's a surprise.

So now I leave Thunderbird open all day at home to access my Yahoo
account via free IMAP and automatically move any incoming messages over
to my new mail account elsewhere.

--RC