[BBLISA] Linux scanning for windows malware on samba share

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Oct 3 19:00:24 EDT 2013

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, John P. Rouillard wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Does anybody have anything to say about Trend Micro, Kapersky, Sophos
> or Eset which are on my to look at list? (I have had really bad luck
> with McAfee and Symantec in the past on pc's, so I have removed them
> from the list.)

We have used Kaspersky for many years with FreeBSD and Sendmail, but I
presume Linux will be similar. The executable can read a file from the
standard input and report a hit with the return code, so it is quite
flexible as to what happens to files, reporting, etc if you can do a
little shell scripting. I suppose you would have a script that ran it
against all the files newer than the last run and removed rx permissions
from hits while emailing the sysadmin and owner. We don't actually use it
that way. A cron job can update the signiture file. It is not unfriendly
to "the Unix way".

False virus positives are extremely rare to non-existent.

dan feenberg