[BBLISA] September meeting - BackupPC not just for desktops

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Wed Oct 2 16:19:35 EDT 2013

On 10/02/2013 04:12 PM, John P. Rouillard wrote:
> Six years ago I embarked on a search for a new backup system for
> work. This talk will start by discussing the requirements and
> evaluation process for the backup system.  This will be followed by a
> tour of BackupPC and a discussion of how BackupPC is used to: backup
> multi TB live databases, handle off site backups, handle bandwidth
> limitation requirements for backing up sites scattered across the
> internet, how compression and file de-duplication works to improve
> backup capacity (fitting 52T of source data into 3.7T of backup
> space). The talk will close with methods used for testing the
> integrity of backups and restoring backups.

John,

I'm also a long time BackupPC user.

I was wondering if you have any solutions to cloning the entire backup
set off site which you're going to discuss (i.e. the "sync a huge tree
of hardlinks" issue).

"Yes, I'll discuss it next week" is a reasonable answer (though I'm not
sure I'll be able to make it next week.)

Thanks,

--
Dewey