[BBLISA] Advice on a firewall Virtual Appliance

Matt Finnigan mfinnigan at gmail.com
Fri May 31 17:19:18 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) <
bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:

> Be aware, that for a security device, you're not supposed to run it as a
> VM, just because you might be vulnerable to hypervisor attacks and so
> forth.  But as long as you take that into consideration - I do it myself.
>
> (Sorry, Ned, meant to reply on-list, but just replied to you.)

 That's not a very compelling argument. I've been at firms that deployed
VM-based security devices and passed audits. Plenty of vendors have OVA/OVF
versions of their appliances. You have to secure your hypervisor layer,
just like you have to secure the physical environment for physical hardware
devices.

Aaron - not knowing your budget, it's tough to make recommendations. At my
last place, we used these :
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/security/vgw-series/
But that's just a firewall, AFAIK - it doesn't also handle remote
access/VPN.