[BBLISA] Forgoing internal dns?

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Wed May 29 16:25:12 EDT 2013

> From: John Miller [mailto:johnmill at brandeis.edu]
>
> Since you suggest using a world-resolvable DNS domain for Active
> Directory, do you suggest using a subdomain of our main domain?  We
> aren't using Active Directory for DNS, so using our main domain causes
> some problems.

You don't want your backend infrastructure to collide or interfere with anything any marketing etc folks are doing.  So your backend domain name could literally be random words, "speedhitnewspaper.net"   ;-)

If your organization has registered "brandeis.edu" or "company.com" and has *not* registered "domain.net" then "domain.net" is a pretty good option to consider.  For a well established organization, having not registered such a domain name is a pretty strong indication that you won't get in harm's way registering it for internal technical purposes.