[BBLISA] Network-based backup in the Boston metro area?

R Gary Cutbill rgary at kluge.net
Wed May 29 14:07:07 EDT 2013

I've use the Crashplan Pro service at work, but haven't setup the local
storage option.  I'd have to go back and read their material to be sure,
but I think that local storage is on your own equipment, not on an appliance
that they provide.  (There are companies that do it that way, I just
don't think
Crashplan is one of them.) Trying that out is on my eventual "todo" list.

We back up both linux servers and personal workstations/laptops (mac &
windows)
using Crashplan. For workstations, users can manage their own backups
and recoveries,
and I can jump in when they need help. For servers, I take care of it
myself.

I haven't had to do any disaster-level recovers, but I've lots of small
recovers for accidentally clobbered files and a handful tests on the
order of 100G just
to be sure it all works.  I probably keep around 2TB of data backed up.

I've been very pleased with the service.  Recovery has always gone
well.  Backups
are pretty much invisible.  I get automated email telling me that status
of the
backups on a regular basis.  Every few months some system gets a wedged
process and I have to go restart it.  The backup processes keep a local
cache
directory. I've found that putting that on it's own filesystem helps
keep things
running smoothly because the backup process will let the cache fill the disk
and that can be problematic.

$7.95 per system per month (with unlimited storage) The price is right. My
only real complaint is administrative. They insist on a credit card as
payment
and they don't (e)mail invoices, so you have to go on to their website
and fetch
the invoices if your billing department requires them.

Without going into details, I'll say that I used to use Iron Mountain
(acquired by
Autonomy). I was very unhappy with them and would recommend avoiding them.

-R. Gary