[BBLISA] Forgoing internal dns?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed May 29 07:47:32 EDT 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013, John Miller wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been meaning to bring this up at the previous meetings, but haven't.
> Brandeis is looking to move all authoritative DNS out to a cloud provider
> (Route 53's currently the leading candidate).  We definitely should be
> doing this on some level--an external provider can give better latency and
> uptime than we could ever dream of providing ourselves.
>
> However, a problem arises: we still have tons of internal services--Active
> Directory, financial aid, management servers, print servers, file servers,
> (I could go on)--that live directly in our main domain.  The terms
> "external" and "internal" don't exactly apply in our case--everything's a
> bit of both.

Wouldn't you want to use a vendor that would allow you to maintain a slave
server, or would be a slave to your server? Route 53 doesn't seem to allow
this, or at least doesn't mention it, but wouldn't another vendor do so?
A caching nameserver couldn't promise to have every record for every
local resource in its cache, but a slave would.

If the vendor server was a slave to your master, then there would be
minimal vendor lock-in. If the vendor has only a propieary API or GUI, it
will be difficult to switch vendors.

daniel feenberg
NBER