[BBLISA] Forgoing internal dns?

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Wed May 29 01:51:41 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I've been meaning to bring this up at the previous meetings, but haven't.
Brandeis is looking to move all authoritative DNS out to a cloud provider
(Route 53's currently the leading candidate).  We definitely should be
doing this on some level--an external provider can give better latency and
uptime than we could ever dream of providing ourselves.

However, a problem arises: we still have tons of internal services--Active
Directory, financial aid, management servers, print servers, file servers,
(I could go on)--that live directly in our main domain.  The terms
"external" and "internal" don't exactly apply in our case--everything's a
bit of both.

Without hosting some sort of authoritative services within our network,
we'd have to rely on our caching nameservers to answer queries during
network downtime.  Do you know of anyone who's attempted this on such a
large scale ("my home Comcast connection" isn't exactly what I had in mind)?

It seems to me that the cost of major failure would outweigh any small
amount of time I'd spend setting up some local authoritative DNS servers.
Also worth noting would be that our current ~100M/month query volume would
severely restrict us, cost-wise, in choosing a cloud DNS provider.

Thoughts?  Anyone think this is possible?  Clearly I have serious doubts,
or I wouldn't still be chewing on this at nearly 2 am.

John
--
John Miller
Systems Engineer