[BBLISA] State of spam filtering?

Steven M Jones bblisa-in at crash.com
Mon May 20 17:31:09 EDT 2013

On 05/20/2013 08:58 AM, John Miller wrote:

> I noticed that Spamassassin's last release was in 2011, which isn't
> encouraging.

The rules have updated more recently, though I couldn't say how
regularly offhand. Updating the rules is not necessarily tied to
updating the package, and has proven beneficial in the past. Worth
looking into.

> What's everyone running for spam filtering these days?  Any particular
> RBLs that are helpful?  Not so helpful?  Any new shared-hash solutions
> like Razor?

For home I use SA, Spamhaus' Zen RBL, and a greylisting milter with
sendmail as the underlying MTA. Works pretty darned well.

For work, with users well into six figures, we've been using Proofpoint
for years and are quite happy with them. They now offer filtering in the
cloud, similar (but IMHO better) to what Postini used to do. I'd have no
hesitation recommending their services, on-prem or off-, if you have the
budget and need the support.

--Steve.