[BBLISA] Load balancers

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:44:05 EDT 2013

Keep in mind that, unless you're careful,  fronting an authentication
service with a load balancer may simply push the problem further out, i.e
your load balancer becomes the central point of failure. Which is more work
making your authentication service highly available or setting up highly
available load balancing service ?

At my previous job I specified a a replicated OpenLDAP infrastructure to
provide authentication services for the production Linux environment.  The
clients were likewise configured to take advantage of multiple servers.  I
could have fronted the authentication service with a load balancer but
chose not to. The trade-off was between a simpler implementation and
quicker fault recovery.  As that environment could handle the the small
timeout some clients would experience should a server fail, I went with the
simpler implementation.

I appreciate this may not be appropriate for your environment.  Just
suggesting an option.

  - Paul Beltrani