[BBLISA] Server side application/network performance monitoring tool?

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 14:00:26 EST 2013

I apologize in responding.   Thanks to both of you who replied to my query.

I don't believe I was clear in my original post.  I was looking for
something thats primary purpose is to monitor performance as compared to
something thats primary purpose is to monitor status, e.g. up/down.

In summary, the tools mentioned were:

XYMON (Previously Hobbit) http://xymon.com/  Status tool that is extensible
and will also gather performance metrics.

Graphite http://graphite.wikidot.com/.  Metrics gathering infrastructure.
I've personally used Graphite and it rocks for gathering performance
metrics.  In fact, I'm in the process of revamping our graphite
infrastructure to support the load of gathering the additional metrics I'm
looking for.  (As an aside, I put this request out to the list because, for
political reasons, I need to deploy something quick and dirty.)

NewRelic http://newrelic.com/  Application Metrics & Monitoring
I've worked with this as well and can recommend checking out if you're
trying to get metrics/monitor a web app.  However it does require hooking
in to your app server/code.

Thanks again.

  - Paul Beltrani