[BBLISA] Does read only really mean it?

Matt Simmons bandman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:21:01 EST 2013

My knowledge is somewhat limited to the Linux world, but in my experience
I've never seen a mount be set to 'ro' and have anything updated. I hate to
use the term 'flabbergasted', but I'm pretty sure that if I saw an
implementation that didn't respect the 'ro' flag, I'd be at the very least
'put out', and perhaps even vitriolic.

--Matt

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Alex Aminoff <alex at basespace.net> wrote:

> Hi folks. I encountered something odd.
>
> Suppose you mount a file system read only. You read a file from it. Does
> the access time of that file get updated?
>
> In one place I found documentation saying no. But other places seem to
> imply that it does.
>
> Does the answer change if it is an NFS mount?
>
> I have deliberately left details of what OS I'm using out, because it
> seems to me that the answer should be consistent, and if it is not, it
> should be documented publicly.
>
>   - Alex Aminoff
>     BaseSpace.net, NBER

"Today, vegetables... Tomorrow, the world!"