[BBLISA] DHCP server choices?

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Thu Aug 29 14:15:45 EDT 2013

On 8/29/2013 11:37 AM, Nahum Shalman wrote:
> No one has mentioned dnsmasq:
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html
>
> It claims to be fine up to around 1000 clients so if you run multiple
> subnets and give each one its own dnsmasq instance, it might be an
> interesting option.
>
> I do use it at work (though on a much smaller network, thus my
> suggestion that you use multiple instances....)

I've used it in a corporate lab environment with up to about 450
machines (many of them VMs).  It was rock solid but eventually I needed
to implement my own dynamic DNS calls to map names from a
self-provisioning system (VMWare LabManager).   Also, I was nervous
about single point of failure -- the software was solid but a machine
can always fail.

Eventually I moved to BIND and ISC DHCPD which worked pretty well. After
a few hours of Googling I didn't have any configuration issues with it.

--
Dewey